Commencing October 1st, 2014, SHIP is proud to be the service provider for Angela’s Place; a unique 20-unit transitional housing support program for families experiencing homelessness, located in Mississauga. The program provides safe, secure short-term housing for a maximum of one year for up to twenty families who have been staying in emergency shelters or without appropriate housing. Families will have an opportunity to obtain resources and develop skills that will enable them to integrate into the community and sustain independence. This is a partnership with the Region of Peel.
SHIPs approach to services at Angela’s Place includes wrap around support which will be delivered through a holistic integrated client driven and family centered approach. We recognize that each family is unique in its strengths and needs and we value the individuality of family members and families as a unit.
Services will include a full array of supportive services such as case management, housing placement, benefits and/or entitlements assistance, counselling, employment readiness training, wellness programming, linkages and referrals to community supports, guidance in life skills and more.
- Must be a family (one or two parents with at least one dependent.
- Must be considered a resident of the Region of Peel and intend on maintaining residence in Peel.
- Must be in receipt of social assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program or considered of low income status as defined by Canada's poverty guidelines.
- Must be experiencing homelessness, at risk of homelessness or residing in a shelter.
- Must be highly prepared and motivated to work collaboratively with the program at Angela's Place.
The program offers solutions for families experiencing homelessness through:
- Transitional housing
- Intake and housing
- Service integration
- Warm transfers
- Case management
- Housing mobility services
- Wellness support
- Community outreach and capacity building
OPPORTUNITY FOR FUTURE:
SHIP has many current partnerships that we hope to leverage in order to increase capacity and expertise on site and to enhance the community’s response to homelessness through a systems perspective. It will be absolutely imperative to have strong and active collaboration with appropriate partners in the delivery of services that are dynamic, diverse and meet the needs of this changing population.
More information, including the application can be found on SHIPs website at: Angela's Place
Come out for a tour of Angela’s Place to see all that it has to offer families experiencing homelessness!!!!!